Dedicated in Loving Memory of Helen Kaplan
Deracheha is all about women learning Torah. Here we look at what, why, and how.
- What is the mitzva of learning Torah? Does it apply to women? Exemption
- What Torah does a woman have to learn? Obligation
- How and why did text study open up to women? Openings to Study
- What texts should women study and why? What to Study
Day-to-day, what prayers do women really need to say? Why?
- What is the mitzva of prayer? Are women obligated to pray? Obligation
- Do women have to recite Shemoneh Esrei? How often? Shemoneh Esrei
- What should women say after waking up? What about birchot ha-Torah? Upon Arising
- Must women recite birchot ha-shachar? 100 berachot a day? Birchot Ha-shachar
- Why do we say “She-lo asani isha” or “She-asani kirtzono?” She-lo Asani Isha, She-asani Kirtzono
- What are korbanot and Pesukei De-zimra? Should women say them? Korbanot and Pesukei De-zimra
- What is the mitzva of Keri’at Shema for women? Keri’at Shema
- Should a woman say Birchot Keri’at Shema? Birchot Keri’at Shema
- What’s left to say after Shemoneh Esrei? End of Shacharit
- When time is limited, what prayers take priority? Priorities in Prayer
Tzitzit and Tefillin
Why are women taught not to fulfill these mitzvot?
- Is wearing tzitzit a violation of the prohibition of cross-dressing? Tzitzit: Keli Gever
- What else might be at issue when a woman wears tzitzit? Tzitzit: Yuhara
- What is the mitzva of tefillin? Why are women exempt from it? Tefillin I: Exemption
- What does guf naki mean? How is it connected to tefillin and to women laying tefillin? Tefillin II: Guf Naki
- May a woman choose to lay tefillin? What are the practical halachic rulings on this? Tefillin III: In Practice
What is the significance of public prayer? And what is the relationship of women to it?
- What is a minyan and what is it for? Who does and doesn’t count toward a minyan, and why? Minyan
- What is the nature of communal prayer? What is the role of Shaliach Tzibbur and who can fill it? What is the significance of women’s participation? Tefilla Be-tzibbur
Are women obligated to hear keri’at ha-Torah? May women read?
- May women handle a Sefer Torah? Contact with a Sefer Torah
- How did keri’at ha-Torah develop? What is the nature of the obligation to read the Torah? Are women obligated to hear it? What would be the implications for the possibility of women reading the Torah? Keri’at Ha-Torah I: The Reading
- What purpose do the berachot over keri’at ha-Torah serve, how are they structured, and who makes them? What is the role of the modern ba’al korei? What is the halachic standing of women’s readings? Keri’at Ha-Torah II: The Aliya
- What is kevod ha-tzibbur? How does it apply to the prospect of women reading from the Torah? Can it be waived or pushed aside?Keri’at Ha-Torah III: Kevod Ha-tzibbur
Mechitza and Gender Separation
What is gender separation in and out of prayer about?
- What purpose does the mechitza serve? Mechitza I: Purpose
- What are the structural requirements for a women’s section? Does structure have a halachic effect on the prayers within? Mechitza II: Structure
- When do we need a mechitza or gender separation outside of prayer? Mechitza III: Separation in Society
Birkat Ha-mazon and Zimmun
Is there a distinction between men and women reciting birkat ha-mazon, the grace after meals, and zimmun, the convocation to join in it?
- What is the mitzva of birkat ha-mazon? What is the nature of women’s obligation to recite it? Birkat Ha-mazon
- What is the mitzva of zimmun? Who is obligated in it? Under what circumstances do women recite it? Zimmun I
- May men and women combine to form a zimmun? Who can make a zimmun be-Shem? What are the parameters for the text of zimmun? Zimmun II
What are the halachot related to a woman’s voice?
- How does Halacha view song in general? What is of specific concern with kol isha? When and to which type of voice does kol isha apply? Kol Isha I: Halachic Basis
- What are men’s and women’s responsibilities with respect to kol isha? May a woman freely listen to a man sing, or sing herself? Kol Isha II: Mutual Responsibility
- How do contextual factors affect application of kol isha? Is the halacha different in a religious context? Kol Isha III: In Context
What does Halacha have to say about clothing?
- What purposes does clothing serve? How does this relate to tzeniut and Halacha? Dress I: The Basics
- What are the more specific halachic parameters for women’s clothing? Dress II: The Details
- How do the laws of erva shift in interpersonal settings? How does this affect the laws of women’s clothing? And what are the halachot concerning skirts and pants? Dress III: More Details
- What is a man’s article, keli gever? What is the prohibition of a woman’s wearing one or cross-dressing? How does intent affect this halacha? Dress IV: Keli Gever
Subscribe here for updates as we post new material!