Dedicated in Loving Memory of Helen Kaplan
Deracheha is all about women learning Torah. Here we look at what, why, and how.
- What is the mitzva of learning Torah? Does it apply to women? Exemption
- What Torah does a woman have to learn? Obligation
- How and why did text study open up to women? Openings to Study
- What texts should women study and why? What to Study
Day-to-day, what prayers do women really need to say? Why?
- What is the mitzva of prayer? Are women obligated to pray? Obligation
- Do women have to recite Shemoneh Esrei? How often? Shemoneh Esrei
- What should women say after waking up? What about birchot ha-Torah? Upon Arising
- Must women recite birchot ha-shachar? 100 berachot a day? Birchot Ha-shachar
- Why do we say “She-lo asani isha” or “She-asani kirtzono?” She-lo Asani Isha, She-asani Kirtzono
- What are korbanot and Pesukei De-zimra? Should women say them? Korbanot and Pesukei De-zimra
- What is the mitzva of Keri’at Shema for women? Keri’at Shema
- Should a woman say Birchot Keri’at Shema? Birchot Keri’at Shema
- What’s left to say after Shemoneh Esrei? End of Shacharit
- When time is limited, what prayers take priority? Priorities in Prayer
What is the significance of public prayer? And what is the relationship of women to it?
- What is a minyan and what is it for? Who does and doesn’t count toward a minyan, and why? Minyan
- What is the nature of communal prayer? What is the role of Shaliach Tzibbur and who can fill it? What is the significance of women’s participation? Tefilla Be-tzibbur
Tzitzit and Tefillin
Why are women taught not to fulfill these mitzvot?
- Is wearing tzitzit a violation of the prohibition of cross-dressing? Tzitzit: Keli Gever
- What else might be at issue when a woman wears tzitzit? Tzitzit: Yuhara
- What is the mitzva of tefillin? Why are women exempt from it? Tefillin I: Exemption
- What does guf naki mean? How is it connected to tefillin and to women laying tefillin? Tefillin II: Guf Naki
- May a woman choose to lay tefillin? What are the practical halachic rulings on this? Tefillin III: In Practice
What are the halachot related to a woman’s voice?
- How does Halacha view song in general? What is of specific concern with kol isha? When and to which type of voice does kol isha apply? Kol Isha I: Halachic Basis
- What are men’s and women’s responsibilities with respect to kol isha? May a woman freely listen to a man sing, or sing herself? Kol Isha II: Mutual Responsibility
- How do contextual factors affect application of kol isha? Is the halacha different in a religious context? Kol Isha III: In Context
Birkat Ha-mazon and Zimmun
Is there a distinction between men and women reciting birkat ha-mazon, the grace after meals, and zimmun, the convocation to join in it?
- What is the mitzva of birkat ha-mazon? What is the nature of women’s obligation to recite it? Birkat Ha-mazon
- What is the mitzva of zimmun? Who is obligated in it? Under what circumstances do women recite it? Zimmun I
What does Halacha have to say about clothing?
- What purposes does clothing serve? How does this relate to tzeniut and Halacha? Dress I: The Basics
- What are the more specific halachic parameters for women’s clothing? Dress II: The Details
- How do the laws of erva shift in interpersonal settings? How does this affect the laws of women’s clothing? And what are the halachot concerning skirts and pants? Dress III: More Details
Mechitza and Gender Separation
What is gender separation in and out of prayer about?
- What purpose does the mechitza serve? Mechitza I: Purpose
- What are the structural requirements for a women’s section? Does structure have a halachic effect on the prayers within? Mechitza II: Structure
- When do we need a mechitza or gender separation outside of prayer? Mechitza III: Separation in Society
How should a Sefer Torah be treated?
- May women handle a Sefer Torah? Contact with a Sefer Torah
We’re planning even more for this section of the site–and let us know if you have a topic to suggest.
Subscribe here for updates as we post new material!