Dedicated in Loving Memory of Beatrice Chernev
What is the nature of the mussaf offering? How is it related to the mussaf prayer? Are women obligated to recite tefillat mussaf? Tefillat Mussaf
What is Hallel? When is it recited and why? When are women obligated to recite it? Hallel
What makes Rosh Chodesh a women’s holiday? How does that affect its observance? Rosh Chodesh
Inclusion in the Miracle
What is the principle of af hen hayu be-oto ha-nes? When and how does it obligate women in mitzvot? Af Hen: Inclusion in the Miracle
- At the seder, are women obligated in eating matza and maror? In drinking the four cups? The Seder: Part I
- Are women obligated to recline? To tell the story of yetzi’at Mitzrayim? The Seder: Part II
- What is the nature of the mitzva to count the omer? Are women obligated? How do the customs of this time period apply to women? Sefirat Ha-omer
- What is the source of the custom to stay up late to learn Torah on Shavuot? Does it apply to women? Tikkun Leil Shavuot
- Why do we blow shofar in Elul? Should a woman make an effort to hear it? Shofar in Elul
- What is the mitzva of shofar? Are women obligated in it? What are the practical halachot involved? The Mitzva of Shofar
- Who blows shofar for whom? Blowing Shofar
- How should a Sefer Torah be treated? May women handle it? Contact with a Sefer Torah
- How did the custom of dancing with a Sefer Torah on Simchat Torah come about? How can women celebrate during the hakafot? Dancing with a Torah
- Does a woman light her own Chanuka candles? When does she light for others? Chanuka I: Candle-Lighting
- What other observances of Chanuka are special to women? Are women obligated to recite Hallel on Chanuka? Chanuka II: Other Observances
From Megilla reading to mishlo’ach manot and beyond, what are women’s practical obligations on Purim?
- What are the four special Torah readings? Why do we read them and who must hear them? Are women obligated to hear Parashat Zachor?Arba Parashiyot
- What are the mitzvot of Purim aside from megilla reading? What are women’s obligations in them? Mitzvot of Purim
Read on to see what we’re planning for this section of the site–and let us know if you have a topic to suggest.
Subscribe here for updates as we post new material!
Each of the major festivals and the High Holidays has time bound mitzvot that grant it flavor and significance. When are women obligated, and when not? How do these exemptions and obligations affect the experience of each holiday?
Days of Fasting or Mourning
Do modern observances of Israeli holidays differ for men and women?