Dedicated in Loving Memory of Ethel K. Adlerstein
What are the benefits of women engaging directly with halachic texts?
- Deracheha, an Introduction
Why are there differences between women’s and men’s mitzva obligations?
- Are men and women equal? Was gender hierarchy built into Creation? Overall Status
- In what types of cases are men’s and women’s obligations the same? Halachic Status
- Why are women exempt from some mitzvot? Is this a matter of identity? Positive Time-Bound Mitzvot
Voluntary Mitzva Performance
Not being obligated does not mean not allowed. Or does it?
- Is performing a mitzva permissible when women are exempt? How is it meaningful? Voluntary Performance
- May a woman recite a beracha over voluntary mitzva performance? Why? Beracha on Voluntary Performance
Challa, candle-lighting, and nidda are three mitzvot in which women’s performance takes precedence over men’s. Taken together, what do they teach us about women and Halacha?
- Why do these mitzvot form a group? Why does this matter? The Group
- What is the significance of each mitzva? What does this teach us about the group? The Mitzvot
When and how can one person discharge another’s mitzva obligations?
- Who can discharge another’s obligations, and how? Discharging Another’s Obligations
- When should a woman discharge a man’s obligations? Discharging Obligations in Practice
What is tzeniut ?
- Is tzeniut more physical or conceptual? Is it inherently social? Or female? Tzeniut